Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Francis & Days Guitar Tutor by Bill Tringham - c1935


In the introduction of this early guitar method book which cost two shillings, Bill Tringham wrote :

" I was faced with a difficulty when I began this tutor. It had to be elementary enough for the student who did not even know a note of music, yet it had to be advance sufficiently to enable him to play popular dance music rhythmically on the guitar. All this was to be contained within the strictly limited pages of a shilling book ... "



Bill Tringham was a member of Geraldo's Orchestra, one of the most popular British dance bands in the 1930's /1940's.

4 comments:

  1. I was presented with this tutor aged 9 in 1960. Together I sat in my lonely room with the tutor and a 5 pound Czech guitar - Spanish 3/4 with STEEL strings and 1/2 inch action. Could I make sense of it? No chance - I cried and eventually gave up! No wonder Bert Weedon's tutor was such a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book in fab condition

    ReplyDelete
  3. just bought this booklet! 79p,,now have high hopes of becoming competent tho it complex, diminished this and that!

    ReplyDelete